The food and beverage industry is one sector that has to continually adapt to meet the needs of customers. F&B product manufacturers are constantly trying to meet various product demands of customers. This includes low-fat, organic, gluten-free, low-sodium, high-fiber, sugar-free, and caffeine-free products.
These various kinds of products will require different types of packaging to ensure proper protection, storage, and transport. Hence, you will find a packaging range that includes single servings, six packs, family servings, and club sizes for those extra-large requirements.
To ensure that all these demands are met, F&B manufacturers have to ensure that the conveyor system used will be able to support all food and packaging requirements. For this reason, manufacturers choose to rely on plastic belt conveyors for F&B packaging operations.
Conveyor System Requirements
With different types of packaging comes different types of challenges. Small packaging with soft containers may create a challenge in moving them on the conveyor belt. Large packaging requires space that will allow products move seamlessly across through the supply chain.
Therefore, the type of conveyor system must meet a few essential requirements:
- It must have a flat and solid base that can support the weight of different sized packages.
- Its length and width should be large and wide enough to accommodate the packaging.
- The conveyors should be easy to maintain.
Solutions Provided by Plastic Belt Conveyors
Plastic belt conveyors are specifically designed to handle the requirements of food and beverage packaging. They provide the following solutions for this industry:
- Advantageous Manufacturing Material: The conveyors are constructed using a polycarbonate plastic. This provides benefits such as immense impact strength, and good heat and chemical resistance. This allows the conveyor to support the weight of different packages. The heat resistance comes in handy for items like bakery products. The plastic material also minimizes any buildup of static electricity. The polycarbonate material also makes the conveyors light weight, and thus, easy to design and assemble.
- Modular Designs: Modular designs allow manufacturers to provide the conveyor in different configurations. The width of the conveyor belt can be custom designed to fit small and large packages. Generally, you will find conveyor widths ranging from 300 to 600 mm. Specialized gear motors can be used to eliminate other components such as guards, sprockets, and chains.
- Easy Maintenance: Most plastic belt conveyors are designed with smooth flat tops. This reduces the chances of dust or grime damaging the surface. In terms of maintenance, as the conveyor consists of a modular design, they are very easy to clean. It can even be cleaned using simple soap and water, and does not require any specialized cleaning agents. Also, the polycarbonate material eliminates the possibility of corrosion.
Supporting a Wide Chain of Products
A variety of packaging can be supported with plastic belt conveyors:
- Soft plastic bags
- Plastic containers
- Card board boxes
- Shrink wrapped products
- Ancillary packaging for food and hygiene products
Plastic belt conveyors can provide the necessary solutions needed to meet the product conveying requirements of the F&B industry. They allow for the safe and efficient transportation of packaged products so that they can reach the customer intact and on time.
Related Blog Posts:
- Features of Modular Plastic Belt Conveyors
- The Expedient Features of Plastic Belt Conveyors
- Plastic Conveyor Systems for Packaging and Warehouse Industries
- Plastic Belt Conveyors – for Ease of Manufacturing
- Methods of Cleaning and Disinfecting Conveyors for Food Safety
- Guidelines to Maintaining Material Handling Systems Used in the Food Processing Industry